Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Time Will Tell


 As parents we break our backs to enroll our kids in tee ball, soccer, dance class, gymnastics, piano lessons, upwards basketball, art lessons, scouting...the list goes on and on.  But 20 years from now do we really expect to have professional ball players, Olympic gymnasts, or concert pianists on our hands?  Why are we investing so much of our time and so much of our children's time, in activities that are fun, but that won't matter by the time most of them reach adulthood.  Sure, I know, playing ball teaches sportsmanship.  Gymnastics and dance are good forms of exercise.  I'm not saying these activities don't have value, but think about it...what is it that you want for your kids?  Academic success?  Athletic awards?  Trophies from gym meets?  A closet full of dance recital costumes?  Many times when asked this question, we say things like, "I want my child to be happy," or "I want them to have a good life," or even, "I want them to be a good person."  The reality is, as parents we all want those things for those kids.  The deeper, and more significant part of that reality, though is that if you know Christ-I mean REALLY know Him-you also know that having a living, breathing relationship with Him is key to really having this "good life" that we want for them.  Living in God's will IS the good life!  Without Him, sure, we can experience good things here on earth.  We can have friends, family, rewarding careers, etc., but these are things we can lose in the blink of an eye.  Friends move away.  Family members die.  Jobs come and go.  The glory days of football games, piano recitals, and scouting awards will end with high school for most kids, and will end with college for most of the rest.  What's left when all of the relationships and activities and excitement and happiness of life are over, or at the very least, have changed into something we don't recognize?  JESUS!  That's what's left. That's what matters. 

Jesus Christ:  the same yesterday, today, and forever.
Hebrews 13:8

 If we believe that, we need to ask ourselves if we are really living what we believe.  Do our lives show evidence of this?  Where we spend our time shows what is most important to us.  Where we allow (or even push) our children to spend their time, shows them what we think is important for them.  What are we teaching our kids to view as important?

My girls take dance lessons.  Baby Doll seems so far to be really gifted in math.  Bitty is an enthusiastic (if not talented) gymnast.  Dipper's latest aspiration appears to be race car driving.  Do we encourage them and try to provide them with every opportunity to develop and excel in the areas they are gifted or seem to enjoy?  Absolutely (well, I'm not sure I'll encourage race car driving, but I've got some time on that one).  But these activities are not the highest on our list of priorities.  I believe that if I did everything possible to make sure my girls had dance lessons, but did so at the expense of leaving out a spiritually developing activity like Sunday School or Awana Club, that would be a great failure on my part as a mother.  If we have time for dance and gym and tee-ball and soccer and art lessons...GREAT!  But only after we have made time for the activities that encourage them towards the only relationship and knowledge that will ultimately matter.

Where are you investing your kids' time?  Think about it.  Find programs in your area that teach and encourage your child about what you want them to value.

For where your treasure is there will your heart be also.
Matthew 6:21 

So, are the wheels upstairs turning?  Are you wracking your brain trying to come up with activities (besides just Sunday School) to bring your children closer to God?  Many of you have already heard me sing the praises of the Awana Club.  This is a children/youth program that my church began this year and my family LOVES it!  If you aren't familiar with Awana the best way I can think of to describe it is that it's like a combination of VBS, Bible Drills, and Boy/Girl Scouts.  The kids have game time (playing in the church gym), whole group (lesson and worship time) and handbook time (this is where they say verses they have memorized to earn badges.)

There are classes for all kids, ages 2-18.  My oldest two (4 and 6 years old) have memorized more than 50 verses this year between the two of them.  They LOVE Awana!  If your family isn't involved in this program I really want to encourage you to look into it.  

If you aren't sure if there is an Awana Club in your area, click on the image below to locate the nearest one. 


If you are interested in starting an Awana Club in your community, or just would like to know a little bit more about it, click on the link below for more general information.



My husband and I had worked with the school age children at our church for several years.  I felt like we needed to change up our Wednesday night activities a little bit, and I'd heard of Awana, so I started looking into it.  I'll be honest.  I had somehow gotten the crazy idea that Awana was going to be easy and not be very demanding on us.  Well, I was wrong.  I look back now and realize that God allowed me to fool myself into believing that because if I'd realized how much work it was going to end up meaning for me, I NEVER would have even considered it.  That would have been a HUGE mistake!!!  Awana has been worth every single second.  Every single ounce of time and energy that I, and everyone else, have put into it.  Of course, because I was the one who had the brilliant idea to check out this great program, I ended up being the one in charge.  Of the WHOLE thing.  For ages 2-18.  Overwhelming?  YES!  Worth it?  YES!!!!!!  I cannot say enough about how much of a blessing working with this program as our club's "Commander" (I HATE that title, BTW) has been for me, not to mention how much I have been blessed as a mother in watching my children grow in their love and knowledge of Christ. 

Are you interested in doing Awana with your own kids, but aren't too sure about getting a whole club started?  I have great news :)  Awana offers a homeschool kit with all of the curriculum resources you will need to go through the material at home.  What a great family time activity this would be!  If you are interested in learning more about trying Awana at home with your own family click the link below.


I hope nothing I've said here has offended anyone, but I hope it has made you think.  I have the feeling that this will be my closing to a LOT of posts on this blog.  I also hope that anyone and everyone reading will always realize that if something I say convicts YOU, you can rest assured that it convicted ME first.  That's how I ended up writing about it.

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.  John 16:33

No comments:

Post a Comment